Gutter Replacement Cost
Prices Updated for 2023 – Example Prices – Get a Quote Online
Our editors publish helpful guides and insights learnt from years of experience and recent research. They also test, review and suggest home and garden products. If you buy something via links, we may earn a commission, but we never accept products or incentives from manufacturers. Learn about our process.
Roof gutters usually last for decades, and apart from occasional cleaning and unblocking, I’ve found that they shouldn’t require too much maintenance.
However, in my 18 years working in the home improvement industry, I’ve seen the damage failed gutters can cause:
- Rot and damage to fascias and soffits as well as roof timbers.
- Damp patches and mould on exterior walls.
- Water ingress into the home.
In my opinion, if your guttering is less than 15 years old, you might be able to repair it rather than replace the whole lot, but for gutters older than this, a full replacement is often the best option. The alternative is to keep repairing something that’s near the end of its lifespan, which isn’t cost-effective.
Explore my recently updated price guide, where you’ll discover:
- The cost to replace guttering with new Upvc plastic.
- Three example prices, based on real-world projects.
- An approximate price per metre (great for budgeting).
- A few scenarios where you might need to pay more than the average price.
Why Trust Us
The author of this guide, Daniel, spent over a decade working in the roofing industry and then worked for over eight years as a project manager in home renovations.
He has a wealth of knowledge regarding guttering and rainwater installations and thoroughly researched the prices shown on this page by gathering quotes from firms in the UK.
Despite having a good idea of how much projects like this cost, I contacted 24 roofers and guttering companies and asked for prices to replace the guttering on a typical house.
I received lots of quotes and estimates in return, and below you’ll find a “works schedule” I’ve created that’s based on the paperwork given to me:
- Erect platform access towers to the roof edge.
- Remove the existing roof guttering.
- Remove the existing rainwater pipes.
- Check underground rainwater drainage pipe for blockages, advise the customer if the drain needs to be jetted.
- Supply and install new Upvc plastic guttering ensuring all rainwater flows freely to the outlets and doesn’t pool in the gutter.
- Supply and install new Upvc plastic rainwater pipes to connect the gutters to the drain at ground level.
- Water test guttering.
- Lower platform access tower and remove all waste from the site.
1) New Guttering to an End of Terrace House
This is a straightforward project; remove the guttering and pipes to the front and rear of the house and a short 2-metre section to a front porch. There are 16 metres of guttering in total and three rainwater downpipes.
Based on my experience, I’d expect this type of project to take no more than a morning, provided there are no issues accessing the roof.
The prices below are an average of the figures given to me by the chosen 24 installers; they include materials for either semi-circular or square guttering, labour and VAT if it was charged.
|Location:||Price inc VAT:|
|London and South||£900 - £1100|
|Midlands and North||£750 - £950|
2) New Guttering to a 3-Bed Detached House
For this project, I wanted to know what others were charging to replace the guttering on a 3-bed detached house.
Here are the specifics:
- Approx 30 metres of guttering.
- Front and rear of the house upper elevation.
- Large porch.
As with the first project, there are no access issues, and the installer can easily reach the guttering with ladders and/or platform towers.
The gutter installation prices below are an average of the figures given to me:
|Location:||Price inc VAT:|
|London and South||£1500 - £1750|
|Midlands and North||£1100 - £1300|
3) New Guttering Cost Per Linear Metre
Per linear metre pricing is somewhat inaccurate as every project is different, and there are scenarios where the installer needs to charge more (see further down this page).
However, for straightforward gutter replacement projects with Upvc plastic semi-circular or square guttering, I think the approximate price per metre installed is around £50-60.
4) Materials Cost Per Linear Metre
As part of my independent research into guttering prices, I calculated the average cost of the materials (Upvc guttering) per linear metre on a supply-only basis.
This approximate price includes the following:
- Gutter lengths.
- End caps.
- A downpipe every 10 metres.
The figure I came up with was £12 per linear metre of guttering.
This price per linear metre was obtained from Eurocell in January 2023 and is based on a typical installation (exc labour, obviously).
You May Pay More If…
I think my guide to the cost of replacing guttering is an accurate way to estimate how much a project like this will cost, but in the past, I’ve worked on projects that bucked the trend and cost much more.
I think you should expect to pay more if:
1) Your installer requires a professionally erected scaffold, perhaps to bridge over a large conservatory, reach gutters on a townhouse or for similar reasons. I used to own a set of access towers that I erected myself; it kept costs down for the customer and was easier than arranging for scaffolding.
2) The prices on this page are for standard Upvc plastic guttering, either black, white, brown or grey in square or semi-circular profile. Expect to pay more if you want a higher capacity system or a non-standard profile such as ogee.
3) Based on my past experience, I know that cast iron or aluminium gutters cost much more than Upvc plastic.
4) If your fascia boards are made from timber, they may require repainting or at least some attention at extra cost.
5) Your underground rainwater drains are blocked and require jetting.
6) Your rainwater soakaway is blocked and needs replacing.
7) You would like or need a gutter leaf guard installed.
Also, consider that if your existing roofline is rotten or in need of painting, it might be worthwhile replacing the whole lot with Upvc plastic.
Gutters often become blocked with leaves, twigs and other debris, which can lead to damaging water ingress and rot.
Gutter leaf guards protect your property and the best time to install them is when the gutters are replaced.
Based on my experience, the best gutter guard is the Gutter Hedgehog, which works best against larger leaves and twigs.
These products are easy for a pro to install:
Alternative Types of Guttering
Upvc plastic is by far the most popular type of guttering and 95% of all the gutter installations I’ve completed were with this material, but there are others to consider:
I’ve previously overseen projects where seamless aluminium guttering was installed. This is manufactured on-site and has no joints, so it will never leak. This type of guttering was popular in the 1990s but is rarely seen nowadays due to the cost of the equipment, which must be bolted to the floor of the van.
Cast iron guttering is heavy and expensive but offers a traditional appearance that makes it suitable for period buildings.
Copper guttering is also an option, although it’s rare to see it and I’ve only worked with it on a handful of projects.
Get a Custom Price For New Roof Guttering
The prices on this page are an excellent guide to the cost of replacing gutters, but as every project is different, I recommend getting a custom price online.
- Get a price in hours, not days.
- Read reviews and feedback from past customers.
- Compare prices for new guttering.
When Were These Gutter Prices Published?
I personally sourced these guttering prices in early 2023 and published this page in January 2023.
Which Companies Supplied You With The Prices For New Roof Guttering?
24 firms from around the UK volunteered prices to me. They were an even mix of roofers, gutter firms and roofline installers.
I sourced the prices for the materials from Eurocell.
How Often Should Gutters be Cleaned and Unblocked
Based on my experience and as a very general rule of thumb, gutter unblocking should be done every:
- 2 years for homes with no trees nearby or moss on the roof.
- 1 year for properties with a mossy roof or trees nearby.
- Twice a year for homes under pine trees as the needles block everything, including gutter guards and meshes etc.
Gutter cleaning, i.e. cleaning the exterior of the gutters, is something that may only need to be done every few years, it varies from house to house. White gutters may need cleaning more often.
What Colour Options are There For New Guttering?
White, brown, black and grey are the most popular colours. I have seen some cheaper products fade, so it might be worth paying more for a decent product rather than the cheapest one.
Do Gutter Leaf Guards Work? Are They Worth the Cost?
I’ve installed many hundreds of metres of gutter guards, and while they work well at keeping large leaves out of the gutters, I’ve found that they often struggle with moss and pine needles.
If you have a gutter with a leaf guard product in place and it becomes blocked, you’ll pay more for a tradesperson to go up there and remove it, clean it and re-fit it.
If you have lots of moss on your roof and it’s this that’s blocking your gutters, consider having the roof demossed instead – it will work out cheaper in the long run.
My Gutters Overflow When It's Raining, What Can Be Done to Fix This?
You have a few options:
- Check that the guttering, rainwater pipe or rainwater drain isn’t blocked.
- Double-check that no parts have come loose.
- Check that rainwater in the guttering is flowing in the right direction (towards, not away from, the pipe).
- Consider upgrading to a higher capacity gutter. Semi-circular gutter holds the least amount of water, square gutters hold about 30% more water while Deepflow and ogee gutters hold substantially more. Adapters are widely available, so you can easily connect your new gutter to a neighbour’s system, even if it’s a completely different shape and size.
Based on my experience, the vast majority of gutter overflows are caused by blockages in the pipe, just at the junction where it joins to the guttering.
How Long Does it Take to Install New Guttering?
These timescales are based on my personal experience:
Terraced house front and back + porch – 3-5 hours.
Semi-detached w/porch + garage – 4- 8 hours.
Detached house, w/porch and garage etc – 1 -2 days.
Allow extra time for parts of the roof that are difficult to access, gutter guard installation, drain unblocking, Upvc roofline cleaning, timber fascia repairs/touchup painting etc.
Are There Any Trade Associations Where I Can Find Reputable Guttering Installers?
You can use our network of tradespeople and of course, there’s also Checkatrade, Which?, Trustmark and other associations.
Author: Daniel Woodley
In his spare time, Daniel enjoys gardening, hiking and scrambling. He frequently posts videos to his popular YouTube Channel and is well known in the hiking community.
Explore More of Our Guides Below:
Our garden and home improvement price list here at DIY Gardening. Get a price for a new lawn, patio, decking and much more. Our prices are always kept up to date. Start Here
Cavity Wall Insulation Cost
Thinking of installing cavity wall insulation? If installed to a suitable home, you won’t experience any problems and there are many benefits. Explore our cavity wall price guide here.
Gutter Cleaning Cost
How much does it cost to get a professional to unblock and clean the roof gutters? We asked the pros how much they charge, and here’s what they told us. Start Here